Saturday, June 16, 2018

Follow Your Heart


We've all had times in our lives that our hopes or dreams haven't become reality.  It's part of life...not a part that I particularly enjoy, but a part that truly teaches us resiliency and grit.  When we are in the midst of one of these life lessons, it's hard to see the light or lesson before us.  

In 2014, I finally began to work towards my Masters in Educational Leadership.  Throughout my teaching career I had always thought I wanted to be in administration.  During my degree program I was able to step out of my comfort zone.  I was asked to video myself, teach lessons to teachers, and provide professional development to educators.  During this time, I truly loved working with other teachers to share ideas, problem solve, and help teachers learn new skills.  However, I had decided many years before that my goal was to be an administrator...right?  I felt that I needed to stay on the path that I had chosen.  Fast forward through a few hard times and decisions (because I wasn't ready to listen to the lesson I had learned), and I'm finally opening my mind to where my heart has been leading me.  I am super excited to be moving to be an Instructional Partner and to be going in the direction that is really feeding my soul; helping other teachers.  

So what's my point?  Well, my point is that even as adults, we can change directions...change dreams....listen to our hearts.  Although you may have already known this, it's taken me a while to learn it.  AND it's a lesson that I share with my own children and students now.  If we, as adults, don't open up to our children and share our life lessons, then how can we expect them to be resilient as they grow up?  My point is...have you shared a time when you followed your heart or when you learned a life lesson?  If we never share our hard times (within reason) with our children, then they begin to see our lives as perfect....and don't know we have hard times, as well.  It's important for our children to see that we overcome obstacles every day.  We aren't perfect, and it's okay to be vulnerable with our little ones (again, within reason).

Follow your dreams.
Listen to your heart.
Know that your honesty will mean so much to others.









No comments: