Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Why "WHY" is So Important


Oh, the power of "why"....

If you simply type into a search line, "the power of why", you'll find a list of videos and books all written on this one topic:  Why the word "why" is so important to any organization or leadership.  It's a simple word, isn't it?  It can lead to some great conversations if you've used this word in your classroom.  You can get some great insights into how your students are thinking when you ask "why" after a child gives an answer.  I believe it will lead to your students understanding that the "right" answer they give isn't going to be enough...the students need to be able to explain their thinking.  (*Caution: asking why a child was taking so long in the bathroom is never a good idea...know when to use this word!)  :)

This same thought process correlates to school leadership, as well.  Now, I know there might be some principals out there who don't like being asked this question.  There are some people who don't like the idea of being questioned about their leadership.  As I've grown in my profession, I've learned to be leery of people like this.  Why wouldn't you want to share your thought process?  Why wouldn't you want to expand other people's understanding?  Now, I also have to say, there is a way to ask this question that doesn't lead to someone being defensive.  If you work with someone that you worry about this happening, maybe phrase it as, "Can you tell me more about your thought process behind...".  In my experience, I have always found it nice when someone asks me "why".  It means that the person was actually actively listening and cares about my reasoning.  Isn't that what we want in a listener?

I would go further to say that it's always important to know the "why" behind your school, school district, and your personal motivation.  Why are you an educator?  Why is education so important to you?  Why does your school exist?  Is it merely to have students regurgitate information or is it to inspire students to take on their own learning journey?  What is the mission and vision of your school and/or school district?  Look into the programs your school district has for students.  Can you see why these programs exist?  Do you see a link between the program and the mission/vision statement?  Every institution should be giving you the "why" when you walk into the building, look on the website, and speak with a student.  The "why" should be evident in the hallways, student work, communication, and personal interactions you see.  The staff should walk the "why" each day...

Why are you in education?  Why are you working with students?
Think about those questions.  Use them to form a mission statement for yourself for this coming school year.  Post this statement somewhere you can read it each morning.  There will be those days that you are overwhelmed, can't find the positives, worry constantly about a child, or might have trouble at home.  BUT, when you walk into your classroom or office, look to your mission statement.  There you will see why you get up every day, why you are important to the children, why you scarf down a meal in 10 minutes, why you have sleepless nights worrying about a student, why you are you...because you matter to these students, these staff members, and these parents.  You have a purpose in education.  You are important.  You are someone's hero, someone's light, and someone's best hug.  Never forget that!

Click here for more information on creating your educator's personal mission statement.

If you want to share your mission statement, leave a comment!

6 comments:

Lesa Haney said...

As someone who has been coached against asking too many questions, your post spoke to me. There is such power in aligning our practices with our mission and vision. In fact, I believe we lose course when we don't lose focus on our why. Keep asking questions and keep blogging. I am enjoying reading your thoughts!

Brandis Smoland said...

Thank you so much, Lesa! I appreciate your feedback. I feel that some leaders may not take well to it, but when approached respectfully, I believe questioning is the best way to understand. For leaders, it truly creates buy-in from staff, parents, and students when we all share the understanding behind a mission/vision statement.

Joy Kirr said...

Brandis, I LOVE this post. I try to convey this everywhere I go! And asking the question to further the discussion is so very vital. I also love that you added those links to "how to" create a mission statement! I've got a section in my book about creating a mission statement, so I added those links to the online resource here: http://shiftthis.weebly.com/classroom-environment.html THANK YOU for sharing your respect and passion for the word "WHY." I'm so happy you created a blog! You'll be impacting so many teachers and their students! Kudos!

Unknown said...

Love, love, LOVE your blog! This post DEFINITELY hit my heart. When i first started teaching, one if my sweet students always asked me WHY do they have to learn "xyz". After that year, I began asking my students WHY. talk about mind blowing explanations! WHY is such great conversation starter and gets everyone thinking.

Unknown said...

Love, love, LOVE your blog! This post DEFINITELY hit my heart. When i first started teaching, one if my sweet students always asked me WHY do they have to learn "xyz". After that year, I began asking my students WHY. talk about mind blowing explanations! WHY is such great conversation starter and gets everyone thinking.

Brandis Smoland said...

Joy,
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement! I'm honored that you stopped by...I just received my copy of "Shift This!" in the mail yesterday!!!